Tuesday, January 12, 2010

RIP Don Givens

**I piece about my amazing Grandfather that just passed, I read it at his funeral**

My Poppy looked good

My poppy would roll into the place and can pull off a mean yellow suit, black hat with some gators on his feet to match

Do ya know this man could dress?

None of that grandpa vest crap on his chest only the best

This man would come in like batman

With his sunglasses on and his gold rims on the side

He would look like a straight up G, but not a gangsta you see

He was Givens

But that is just the surface only the physical

My poppy had a heart of gold

Like heavy wet rain in Southern California

He was rare

I used to love running down to his den to see him in his chair

Watching football or whateva other sport

Cheering his team on to make the ball in the court

Poppy you look good

Your smile would put me in so much awe

Knocks me out till I fall

No matter what I would be feeling sad, angry, lonely, scared,

Poppy your smile would be a slap back to reality

Because your smile reminds me

You are a true gift and blessing to me

You are the reason I have a family

You are an extended tree

From the roots to the branches and the leaves, you shaded me and provided shelter

You look so good; you were more than just an elder

I remember when I cooked for you

You came in this fly white suit

Sat down and ate because that’s what you do

You of course was a another inspiration for school

For trying something new

An inspiration to make my dreams come true

Poppy I was just blessed to walk with you to talk with you just to know you

I could always remember your sweet smile even when I was a child

You had the charisma like a king

And I always felt like royalty because I was a part of your family

Poppy you gave me your birthday ice-cream when I was about 3

And you don’t even realize how much that meant to me

My first memory I can remember is walking in your home on 22nd and Bronson with ease

Poppy I would neva get over the conversations we would have

Even if it was the same thing over and over again

I could play every conversation like a broken vinyl record player because I could never get annoyed with your voice

“Jazz how are you doing in school”

“Jazz tell your knucklehead cousin to do well too”

“Jazz I really love San Francisco too; maybe I will come out there and visit you”

“Because I love the trolley too”

I wish I coulda did my surprise for you.

Football game tickets at Oakland Stadium

Me plus You

Poppy you always look good not for your colorful suits

I love you because you were you


No comments:

Post a Comment